Tuesday, October 9, 2012

News from the Delosperma seedlings

My almost 6 months old Delosperma seedlings don't look like what I expected. Plants on the photos online seem to grow in length and crawl on the ground. Mine are very compact and round bushes which I like a lot, since there's no room here for them to "crawl" or engage in any other activities. Out of each of the very first leaves have grown a couple of new branches which have now kinda stopped (maybe preparing for winter?).
The most interesting about the plants is that they seem to love water. After a sunny day the leaves just drop like they have lost all will to live, and with a little water they are firm again by the morning. I think I've been watering them everyday in summer.
Questions to the experts: How do I care for it in the cold months? Is there something else I need to do except water them less?

The yellow leaves are actually those very first leaves they've grown. And check out the surface texture! It's hard to keep dust away. :)

PS. You can see these plants grow here, here and here, and the parent plant's beauty here. ;)

9 comments:

  1. I had a cooperi struggling away in a pot for many years, then I planted it in the garden and it exploded overnight into a big mass, here it is now in full flower...very opportunistic and tough.
    http://lttreasures.blogspot.com/2012/09/patches-of-colour.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great looking plant! I heard they go crazy when they're outside. Unfortunately there's no "outside" where I live :) Windowsill will have to do~

      Delete
  2. Never thought about this plant, but wow those leaf textures are cool. I did a Google search and it seems like they are an all around good plant, perfect for city or garden, hot and cold. How are you managing to kill them? Just kidding :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pretty flowers come in different colors, too. ;) It's a great plant all in all. I got the seeds from a plant on the roadside (see the link in my post). It was blooming so beautifully, I had to have it at home. :)

      Delete
    2. Oops I didn't even see those links. Yeah, I have seen them growing on the roadside in Spain (my partner considers them a weed there, but I really like them). I think you must be a little crazy, to try to grow from seeds a plant that can easy be propagated. Or it means you are a true plant enthusiast! I guess we are all crazy :) I will have to give them a try, do you think they would be nice in a window box, overflowing?

      Delete
    3. I haven't seen them grow outside (or anywhere else) in Germany or I'd have gotten a cutting for propagation. I saw the parent plant on the street in Japan back when I was studying there so it was actually easier to transport seeds back to Germany than cuttings. :) I came to sowing them only ca. two years later and i love the results so far.
      Hm I don't think it can get so huge when potted. (haha, it would be a disaster, since I have no room). It's compact at the moment so fingers crossed :D

      Delete
  3. Lovely/cool looking plant Rika! Wow, I cannot believe how much it has grown! Must be loving your conditions very much. Excellent photos, and the textures look really cool! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the new leaves were coming from everywhere. :) It seems to be on hiatus now though but I can't blame it.
      Thank you! I really like the texture, it's sparkling in the sun, you know :)

      Delete