Saturday, August 6, 2016

Older lithops seedlings (2 pics)

Not only older lithops seedlings but actually 6 years old lithops seedlings. Can you believe that? These are the guys from the so-called "pumice experiment" back in 2010 which is now my standard procedure (oh my, they are so tiny there). I was disappointed for a very long time that they didn't look like "mariae" I wanted them to be - all dotty. Instead they looked like regular lesliei. However, now, 6 years later, the proper looks are apparent. The fine dotty lines and the sandy color. I remember reading that "mariae" are the largest among lesliei but mine are rather compact.

L. lesliei ssp. lesliei v. mariae (C141)


2 comments:

  1. I think they are quite beautiful. Of course I've never met a lithops I didn't think was beautiful. I am still amazed at the quality of the plants you grow in pure pumice. I think their growth rate is slower than mine, but of course that is part of your strategy in keeping them compact and natural looking. As I have said before, you have learned to work within the environment you have and produce great succulents, the mark of an expert grower. Be very proud, you have certainly earned it. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, indeed, they reach maturity, or mature looks, extremely slowly. The guys pictured are very small, too. Barely the size of adult plants. This works for me and my conditions though. The smaller plants seem to be stronger under my conditions of little sunlight, they regenerate with much less difficulty. So nothing to complain. And I do feel proud. Thanks again for always encouraging me Bob! :)

      Delete